E-Mail - Anti-Virus & Unsolicited Bulk E-mail Filtering
This information applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows 2003
SureWest is committed to making your Trailblazer High-Speed Internet experience fast and safe as possible. With that philosophy in mind this November we will be adding Anti-"Spam"(1)/Unsolicited Bulk E-mail (UBE) and E-mail Anti-Virus measures to help protect you.
These measures should be viewed as part of your overall system maintenance and protection regiment, just like your car! SureWest recommends you keep your computer systems updated with the latest patches, use current anti-virus software and use either a hardware or software firewall.
To combat Unsolicited Bulk E-mail we are deploying the follow techniques:
- Relay Blocking - Only our customers may use our E-mail servers to send outbound E-mails.
- Real-Time Blackhole Lists - This is a list of known sources of UBE compiled at a national and local level. E-mails sent from these sources are automatically rejected.
- Filtering - Based on the message type, content and other guidelines e-mails are UBE scored. Based on that score the e-mail either make it to your inbox or be deleted. If the message is deleted the sender will see the "bounce" message below in Figure 1.
A computer virus or worm is a program that is designed to either damage your computer, enable others to use your computer without your knowledge, use your computer to damage others and spread itself to other computers. To help prevent your computer from becoming infected through e-mail, SureWest is implementing Virus filtering on our e-mail servers. E-mails found to contain an "infected" attachment will have the attachment removed and a warning message put in it's place. See Figure 2.
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:24:11 -0600 |
From: "Not your friend "
Subject: Do you want to make a lot of money without any effort?!?!
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
Original address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reason: Rejected by filter processing
Suspected spam message rejected
|----- Original Message ----- |
From: Not your pal
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 4:30 PM
Subject: Cool file!
Bob you really need to read this.
Attachment: 116776892.txt (attachment was renamed)
|The original document has been removed from this message. The document was removed because |
Possible Malicious e-mail Content Detected
The document contained the following malicious content
The name of the original document was eicar.com
- ISP Messaging Team
SureWest Connections, LLC.
(1) SPAM is a registered trademark of Hormel Foods Corporation.
Mar 11, 2005 - 11:31:52
Mar 11, 2005 - 11:31:52
spam, ube, virus, Unsolicited, Bulk, email, e-mail